Friday, December 18, 2009

Always Learning, Ever Changing



Writing short stories and poems since I was thirteen years old, I always wondered what it would be like to actually write a book. Now I do. I am not published yet but that will come, I am sure of it.

The romance novel I wrote took three months to complete. Editing and serious revisions took a year. Still plugging away at it though. I refuse to give up because some people who shall remain anonymous think I have potential. No, I am not including my mother or sons or anyone else in the family. Though it seems that normal to have these people in your corner because quite frankly you will need them when and if the rejection letters come and you know they will.

You began to notice as time goes on the stories you write begin to mold you as a writer. One person pointed out certain things in my manuscript that needed some changes. At first I became a bit defensive, then I realized if I was going to be successful I needed to start being a little more flexible. It didn't mean I would lose my voice as a writer, but that I would become a better writer. I learned what works and what takes too darn long to explain a simple action.

This journey has made me cry, wonder why I became a writer, and what started out as a hobby turned out to be such a chore. I am at the computer from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed. I am on Christmas vacation from school and have a month off. This is as good a time as any to revise the darn thing.

You know sometimes life gets in the way of creativity. But if I don't climb back in the chair and try to improve what I can and let go of what I can't, then I am no better than the person who so easily gave up. You have to wait for your moment to shine. It will come. Patience is a virtue and by that I mean you will have to learn the difference between want and need.

What are you hungry for as a writer? Fame and fortune? If so you will be disappointed. But if you want to become a published writer who can handle the success that comes with it and continue to be disciplined then half the battle is won. Why? Because you have learned a valuable lesson, always learning, ever changing.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Nicely put - I have to finish up mine as well - :o) Judy

Lindsay said...

Great post, Cindy. Keep at it!!