Friday, April 9, 2010

Romance



Romance...it is a beautiful word. When you are in love, it is even better. I write romance novels and right before I start a novel, I think about Gone With The Wind, Wuthering Heights, When A Man Loves A Woman, or You've Got Mail. Any one of these greats will bring to mind the feeling of losing yourself in someone else.

Writing a novel was always a big dream of mine ever since I was a teenager. The first time I attempted to write a story, I wrote three simultaneously, without chapters. By the time I decided to concentrate on the first one I was well passed 919,515 words. Then I got the idea to join a writing group, which then led to joining classes within the group. All of this helped quite a bit but I soon learned that I needed to chop up my stories in chapters. Wow, how the heck could I forget that?

I wrote the first novel in three months from start to finish, another three months to put it into chapters, and a year to edit the darn thing a kabillion times. I didn't want this to become a chore but remain a hobby. I was discouraged because I knew I was good at this writing thing, but the more I read about how much work the group was putting into their own stories I decided to stop and take a vacation. I couldn't believe how hard something that brought me so much pleasure, was slowly turning into a nightmare.

That is when I made up my mind that I would write what I had in my heart to write and when I was through then I would go on the endeavor of the next step...finding an agent. I still don't think all of this is as hard as everyone makes it out to be. I just decided that I will try, giving my writing as much of a chance as I can give before "I" say enough is enough and stop.

Writing is second nature to like breathing. I can lose myself in it for hours. Start early in the morning before anyone or anything tries to interrupt me and before you know it I look up at the clock and evening has arrived in all it's glory! I love to write, it frees my mind. If someone were to give me something to write about I feel as though I have this tight coat on. Can't breathe, can't think, inevitably I can't write. I can write anywhere, any time. I don't believe I have to lock myself up in another room and I only have four walls staring back at me. I can be among others and still write, providing I am not interrupted. My mother solves her crossword puzzles, my sons go about their lives, and I am at the kitchen table or TV room with it blaring as my mother watches her British comedies or movies. I am perfectly fine among all of it. But I do become a little agitated if you try to engage in conversation with me. Writing is important to me and I hate being interrupted for anything. When I get an idea I run with it. That is how important writing is to me. It means everything in the world to me, to get it down on paper or in the computer.

No comments: